Sunday, 24 January 2016

Dealing with Anxiety

*I'm sorry this post is so unbelievably late, but I hope you understand that this subject is something very sensitive, and I didn't want to offend anyone in anyway. I've been working on this post for what seems like forever, but anyway, apologies*

Anxiety, the Little Devil

This subject is something that affects so many people, including me and so anyone reading this who thinks anxiety is a joke and is just stupid, I would kindly ask you to leave this page and maybe come back when you realise that it isn't.
Anxiety has an impact on the person themselves and also the people around them like family and friends, but does show you the true friends you have, as these are people that will stand by you even if they find it difficult to comprehend.


I am lucky enough to have the most supportive, caring and beautiful friends who are fully aware of my mental health conditions, and who understand that sometimes I am going to act a bit unusual and start getting stressed out over things they would find easy to do, like answering the phone, making an appointment, or paying for things in stores.

I personally choose to avoid talking about anxiety and my personal experiences with anxiety, with my friends. This is because I feel so comfortable and happy around them most of the time that I don't want to bring up such a sensitive subject like that. All of my friends are aware that I don't like talking about this subject mainly because I'm a very private person and I prefer not to get all 'touchy-feely' with people about myself. If someone else is clearly having a tough time I will always be there for them, even if I don't know them that well, that's just who I am.

I have one person (lets call her Jane) who came into my life last March (2015) and she has been a complete rock for me, and we have built up a very strong relationship with each other. This allows me to come to her with ANY problems whatsoever, whether big or small, and she never judges me. I am so grateful to have someone like that in my life. She knows so much about me and understands me so well it's amazing, I can never ever repay her for what she has done for me.

I do, however, realise that I am incredibly lucky to have her and that many people with anxiety or conditions similar to that, feel like that they don't have anyone they can talk to. The fact is, there is always someone to talk to, whether it's a teacher, parent, guardian or friend. It can be extremely difficult to come out to people about what's going on in your head, no matter what age you are, so a good way to express it is to write it down. You may sit there reading this like, 'I can't think of how to start it', but it really is very simple. Write down exactly what you're feeling at this exact time. Doesn't matter how stupid or pointless you think it is, just write it down. As you write, you will slowly find yourself truly expressing yourself, just don't think about it. You don't have to read it back or look at it ever again. I fold mine up and put it in my pocket, ready to show Jane when I see her. Removing the letter from my pocket takes a huge weight off me, Jane reads it and then I never see it again. She talks me through some things that I've written and then we move on. It's so weird how such a simple task can really help remove stress from you so easily.

Something that I have found incredibly useful is the removal of most caffeine and some alcohol from my diet. This makes me a lot less stressed and 'over-hyped'. Apparently, both aggravate anxiety and have a domino effect of panic attacks. I haven't completely removed these beverages from my diet, as I do need something to keep me awake when doing homework, but I have certainly cut down on them and noticed a positive difference because of this.

I believe that a lot of people tend to aim for perfection. This, however much it may hurt, is impossible. Nobody is perfect. Some people are certainly better at things than others, but nobody is true perfection. You can be the most academic person on the planet, but have the practical skills of an average ten year old. Just be proud of what you are and who you've become or you are going to be. One of my personal favourite quotes is 'reach for the moon because if you don't make it you will land among the stars' because it shows that you may not get what you wish for, but you've tried your best and you are somewhere just as good.

Getting enough sleep is extremely important because your brain calms down and becomes less active. Everything always seems so much worse if you're tired. I personally put my phone away in the next room by 10:30pm at the latest. That way I am not tempted by anything or distracted by a notification. I have a CD player (yes I still have a CD player, but I like it) that I play stories on or calming music. This really helps me move on from the past events and just relaxes me, helping me get a better sleep and making me more ready for the next day.

Another thing that is really beneficial is your diet. I personally suffer with severe body confidence issues, so much so I can't even look at myself in the mirror. To help me feel more confident was not to go on a diet or starve myself, but to eat just that little bit more healthily. This wasn't by cutting out all junk food ever, but to eat healthy foods that I liked, more. For instance, I became addicted to strawberries. These do contain a lot of sugar, granted, but it certainly made me fell healthier and more happy with the way I was treating my body. I also used some detox recipes, not to stop eating and just have the detox juices, but to have them as well as water and coffee. My personal favourite was a load of water, with the juice of 2 lemons in, mint, thyme and ice. This just tasted so fresh and natural and really felt like it was helping my body. It does however, have a certain sourness to it, which I personally love, but some may find disgusting.
Another one was a smoothie. This contained raspberry and cranberry juice, 3 slices of tinned pineapple and a handful of frozen blueberries. This again was delicious. I might do a blog post on it in the future. Who knows...

Even though there are so many more ways of dealing with anxiety, I feel that a) I have dragged this on too long, and b) I would be here forever if I mentioned all of them. So, to end this ridiculously long blog post, I'd like to conclude in a more happy way.
LISTEN TO UPLIFTING MUSIC!! Go on YouTube and find music that isn't depressing and dull and gloomy. Something like 'Unwritten', 'Beautiful Day', 'Raise Your Glass', most ABBA songs, 'Build Me Up Buttercup', 'Mr Brightside', 'What a Feeling', 'Don't Stop Me Now', just to name a few of my personal faves. Just dance around your room and let loose. It's legit one of my favourite things to do.

Anyways, I'm gonna leave it there. Have a great week,

Adios Amigos

x


2 comments:

  1. BETH KITCHEN YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up ginge, you are an amazing and beautiful person inside and out, just you remember that ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, 'Don't Stop Me Now' is my jam! Me luuuurrrves it. Good music choice ay :)

    ReplyDelete