Wednesday, 14 September 2016

Back to School

Is it just me??

Is it just me who, despite finding a strong comfort in school and the support network it provides, still gets ridiculously anxious every evening and morning before school? I always wake up in the morning with immense stomach pains that make me sick, and a headache that two ibuprofens do nothing for.
I went back to school last Tuesday, September 6th, but as part of the sixth form. I am unbelievably grateful to be able to get into the sixth form, as without the school, I don't know where I'd be. I guess, in a way, I felt I owed it to the school to do well and when I found out I was able to be in the sixth form, I was so happy, I cannot explain. That was August 25th.
I think it was about a week later, and reality started to kick in, and just the thought of going back to school made my heart pound and my hands and legs shake. I had had about eleven weeks off school, due to finishing my GCSE exams on June 17th, so, having had a longer break, I guess I was more nervous than normal to go back.
Now, as I had the time and space to write things down and take a step back, I decided to think about this anxiety logically. One of my major anxiety triggers is the fear of being disorganised or forgetting something, no matter how small. So, how could I try and minimalize this anxiety, and help myself in some sort of way? 



Keeping on top of work
This is something I have always, always struggled with and I tend to be leaving it until the night before, even if I have been telling myself to do my work. I won't lie to you, I'm already falling behind on this. A-Level work is a massive jump from GCSE and I'm seriously feeling the strain. Having my timetable helps as it gives me a bit more structure to the days, but I guess it takes time to settle in to a new routine. I do however, feel like I have started off the academic year in a better way to last year. I have a lot of work to do, but I have got through most of it already and the relief of finishing is so rewarding, I guess you just have to remember that in order to finish the next piece.

Planning the next day
This is something I have recently started doing and the benefit I have felt is unreal. Knowing, when I go to bed, that when I wake up, I only need to get dressed and ready, means I can spend a little longer calming myself down and going over the day. If I have any appointments with teachers, I always make sure I have a specific time to meet, and not just a general time, as this helps me to be less worried about whether I'm turning up too early or too late.


Establishing a good network of friends

As a younger teenager, I thought that the more friends I had, the better. I can guarantee, this is not the case at all. From the years 7-9 my group of friends consisted of at least 20. A massive bunch of squabbling, bickering, annoying kids who thought they'd found friends for life. Well, now I'm in year 12 and only four of those 20+ are my closest friends. I think, when you're younger, you don't know how you will survive without friends, you feel the need to have as many friends as possible as a sort of 'safety net'. I can tell you now, some of those 'friends' will turn out to be stab-in-the-back-two-faced-bitches. As I've got older, I've become so much more honest with myself and with others, removing myself from people I don't want to be with. I was talking to my Aunty and I'll never forget what she said, mainly because she wrote it down, but also because... well... just read it...: "The hardest thing in life, is letting go of something you once thought was real. Don't ever change yourself just because one person in seven billion can't appreciate your individuality". I totally just digressed COMPLETELY so apologies for that. I guess, what I'm trying to say, is the best friends you can ever find, are those that give you stitches from their laughter, their shoulder for your tears, and their hugs and smiles 'just because'. The ones who are there for you through everything, no matter what. Remove yourself from fake friends, they only hold you back. You look forward to seeing your friends at school. They give you a reason to go in.

Well, I think that's it. I know it's only short, but I hope it helps...

Good luck at school, everything works out the way it's supposed to. I know it's easier said than done, but don't sweat the small stuff. Trust me, as we get older, there are MUCH bigger things in life that are much more important. Live everyday as it comes. You'll look back at yourself and wonder why you got so stressed out, I'm already doing it now.

Anyways, have a lovely day,


Adios Amigos


X







4 comments:

  1. Hi Beth, thanks for doing this post, my workload has stepped up loads bug I'm adjusting to it!!!! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Glad it helped. Sorry it's a bit late, I've had a lot of school work. If you have any more suggestions, be sure to get in touch!!

      Delete
  2. Hey there I just started reading your blog and I am in love. Its really interactive as if you are sitting in front of me. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete